Amazon Prime Day 2018 starts today! Following my Early Live Deals Guide and breakdown of offers Amazon already launched at the weekend, now is the main event. Over one million deals will go live worldwide and here are my top picks for your shopping plans as well as a list of Amazon’s free giveaways on the day and how to get them. Let’s dive in…
This post was created by the Contributor in partnership with BestBlackFriday, which specializes in holiday season sales. The deals highlighted within this post were independently selected by the Contributor and do not contain affiliate links.
Prime Day 2018 Necessities, Freebies and Giveaways
First the golden rule: In order to take full advantage of Prime Day, you must be an Amazon Prime member. Those who aren’t can sign up for a free 30-day trial and opt out once Prime week has passed. Using the free trial will allow you to shop all of the deals and get free two-day shipping with no minimum spend.
Tip: opting out does not prevent you from running another free 30-day trial for Black Friday and Cyber Monday using a different email address.
Here are the best freebies you can take home on Amazon Prime Day 2018:
- Alexa Prime Day giveaway for Alexa-enabled devices: Amazon is giving away grand prizes which include $50,000 in cash, an all-new 2019 Lexus ES with Alexa, a smart-home makeover and a trip for two to Seattle. Enter by asking your Alexa device one of ten different phrases such as, “Alexa, what’s the news?” and “Alexa, what are your deals?”
- Receive $5 OFF select Prime Day deals when you download the Amazon App and try certain camera features such as AR view, Product Camera Search, Barcode Scanner and package X-ray.
- Within the Amazon App, tap the menu icon to open the app menu, then tap “Settings”, then “Notifications” and enable “Personalized Notifications”. Amazon will then notify you of special giveaways over the next two days.
- Free Twitch games each day this month including Tacoma, The Bridge, Brutal Legend, The Red Strings Club, and more today. Note: To receive these free Twitch game downloads you must be a Twitch Prime member. Or, simply becoming an Amazon Prime member gives you Twitch Prime for free.
- Free Echo Dot with purchase of select Acer PC + Echo Dot bundles
- Six months free of Amazon Music Unlimited with purchase of select Amazon Echo devices during Prime Day
- Spend $10 at Whole Foods in a single transaction and receive a $10 credit that can be used on Amazon during Prime Day.
BestBlackFriday has a dedicated page tracking all the freebies and giveaways for Prime Day on its blog.
Amazon Prime Day 2018 – The Most Anticipated Deals
If you are really keen on making a purchase this year for Prime Day, I recommend staying away from the weird or odd sale items that have given Amazon Prime Day a bad wrap and sticking to Amazon’s own lineup and branded products. Here’s a look at the top 7 most anticipated deals.
Note: These deals are not all live at the time of publishing, but have all been confirmed by Amazon directly. Black Friday data is provided by BestBlackFriday.
- Kindle Paperwhite for $79.99 (save $40) – The Kindle Paperwhite remains one of Amazon’s most popular Amazon devices. The $79.99 price tag is $40 off from the retail price of $119.99 and the cheapest this product has ever been – product link
- Amazon Cloud Cam for $59.99 (save $60) – During Black Friday last year, the Cloud Cam was available for $99.99, which was a solid discount of $20. For Prime Day 2018, Amazon is stomping all over that deal making it available for only $59.99, which is also $40 better than Black Friday and a full 50% off its regular retail price of $119.99 – product link
- Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote for $19.99 (save $20) – The highly popular Fire TV Stick is also seeing its lowest price ever at Prime Day 2018 and it represents a solid 50% off. The lowest price on Black Friday last year was $24.99 – product link
- Echo Dot for $29.99 (save $20) – The Echo Dot was the most popular purchase on Prime Day 2017, and it is likely to be in the running again for that honour again. While the $29.99 price tag matches Black Friday from last year, it is still a can’t-miss deal – product link
- Premium brand 65-inch 4K Smart TV for $649 – While the brand is still unknown, the price is comparable to the best Black Friday premium television deals with similar specs. So expect a top brand.
- 32-inch Smart TV for $129.99 – as above, this is comparable to the top Black Friday deals for smart TVs of this size. Meaning there’s no need to wait for November, if you’re looking for a super-affordable new HDTV.
- Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones for $125 (save $174) – These highly rated and popular headphones are selling on Prime Day for almost 60% off – it’s a no-brainer – product link
While these are my Amazon Prime Day deal highlights, remember that new deals will come and go throughout the sales period and you will need to be quick to catch them. With that in mind, note BestBlackFriday is live tracking the best Amazon Prime Day deals with Black Friday comparisons on its blog.
You can also keep up with my latest Prime Day posts by hitting the ’Follow’ button on my page.
Remember: Prime Day begins on Monday, July 16th at 12 pm PT/3 pm ET and ends on Tuesday, July 17th. It will last 36 hours, which is six hours longer than Prime Day last year.
More On Forbes